Wednesday

~ Birthday Boyz ~

Today is the birthday of one of the founding members of the Grateful Dead, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, born 1945 in San Bruno California, the son of an R&B disc jockey.

His contribution to the Dead was seminal, and he was actually the leader of the group in the begining.

He is buried at Alta Mesa cemetery in Palo Alto, near where my parents are buried.

R.I.P Ron...






...and...







...it's also the birthday of Pig "Pig Man" Pigstien, of the Oakland Pigsteins.

Pig, (as he was affectionately known), was a big son of a bitch, and didn't exactly fit in.

But he could barbeque a mean hotdog.


'Q on, brother....

3 comments:

Ken said...

Why? do the people ask I wear an engineers hat. It's because of that guy right there. The first time I went to Winterland to see The Grateful Dead and New Riders of The Purple Sage he was wearing one. I liked it! I've liked it for a long time.

Anonymous said...

the virgo rocks!!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Pigpen was a talent...he did not have the best voice, was not the best keyboard player...but all in all a true talent..

THAT is why Mic wears the hat!?! COOL